COVID-19 Response — The Portland Clinic is open and equipped to provide safe, quality care for the community. For more information, including vaccination updates, go here >>

The future we’re building has been a century in the making.

Discover a century of defining stories and victories from advancing wellness across Portland. Thank you for celebrating 100 years with us.

The Moments that Made Us

Making history Embracing a novel medical care approach pioneered by the Mayo brothers, four bright physicians partnered to create Oregon’s first private multi-specialty clinic in 1921. 
Growing with Portland As soon as we opened in downtown Portland, the challenge was keeping up with demand. Watch how we’ve grown with the city and diversified our specialties to serve the local community we know today.
Meet Dr. Alberty Roger Alberty, M.D., left his navy career to pursue medicine without knowing a thing about it. He later became one of Portland’s top surgeons, helping to launch the first outpatient surgical center in Oregon.
Among the greats Norman Sylvester was inducted into the Oregon Music Hall of Fame in 2011 and has shared the stage with music greats including Tower of Power and B.B. King. He’s also a patient of The Portland Clinic.

A Century of Milestones

A black and white photo of The Portland Clinic’s first office in downtown Portland, Oregon, in 1921.

1921

On June 1, Oregon’s first physician-owned, multi-specialty medical clinic, founded by Drs. Noble Wiley Jones, Laurence Selling, Thomas Joyce and Frank Kistner, opens in downtown Portland.

A black and white portrait of Dr. Noble Wiley Jones, one of the founders of the Portland Clinic

1924

Dr. Jones, returning from a sabbatical in London, brings a portable electrocardiograph machine to Portland — the first known EKG machine in the city.

An historic black and white photo of the Mayer Building at SW 12th and Morrison.

1926

The clinic moves from its original location in the Stevens Building, on SW Washington, to the Mayer Building at SW 12th and Morrison.

1928

The group practice of Jones, Selling, Joyce and Kistner officially changes its name to The Portland Clinic.

An historic photo of the former Roseland Hotel.

1946

The Portland Clinic remodels and moves into the former Roseland Hotel, located where today’s downtown clinic parking lot now sits.

1947

The clinic begins an after-hours answering service, employing medical students from the Oregon Medical School (now Oregon Health & Science University) to staff the switchboard on evenings and weekends.

A photo of the outside of The Portland Clinic at SW 13th

1974

The clinic razes its downtown building to make way for its first new building and current home at SW 13th between Yamhill and Taylor.

1984

The region’s first full-service, Medicare-approved day surgery facility opens in the clinic’s downtown building.

1985

Patients gain easier access to doctors’ visits as the clinic adopts a centralized appointment system, one of the first in the Northwest.

A photo of The Portland Clinic’s current Beaverton location at SW 160th and TV Highway.

1986

The Portland Clinic’s first satellite office opens in Beaverton and quickly expands to meet demand. In 1995, it moves to its current, larger location at SW 160th and TV Highway.

The clinic introduces “convenient care” walk-in hours, offering same-day appointments.

A photo of The Portland Clinic-South location at sunset.

1990

The third office, The Portland Clinic-South, opens to serve patients in the Lake Oswego, Tigard and Tualatin areas. It grows quickly and expands to its current location off I-5 at Carmen Drive.

A photo of The Portland Clinic J. Michael Schwab Medical Campus in Tigard.

2003

The Tigard Medical Campus opens at SW Hall and Oleson Road, adding urgent care and imaging services, including MRI and CT, to the clinic’s offerings.

2007

The Portland Clinic Sleep Center opens at the South office location.

A photo of the front entrance of the Alberty Surgical Center.

2008

The clinic's second day surgery center, named in honor of surgeon Roger Alberty, M.D., opens at the Tigard office.

2010

The clinic welcomes Columbia Family Medical Associates, an independent, physician-owned practice on Portland’s east side, as its fifth branch location.

2011

The RJ Pitts M.D. Family Practice in Hillsboro joins the fold as the clinic’s newest location. In 2016, this office merges with the Beaverton office.

The clinic collaborates with Northwest Permanente Medical Group, giving Kaiser Permanente insurance members access to care at The Portland Clinic.

2012

Portland Family Practice joins the group as the clinic’s new East office.

2013

The Portland Clinic forms the Portland Coordinated Care Association (PCCA), a network of independent medical groups in Portland that pools resources to help lower costs, improve quality and optimize the patient experience.

A photo of someone on the phone at The Portland Clinic wearing a yellow hard hat.

2016

A burst water line floods the Downtown office building. Read Story

The Portland Clinic Foundation is revived.

A rendering of the front entrance of The Portland Clinic’s new Northeast branch.

2018

The clinic consolidates its two east Portland branches into a new, Lean-designed Northeast branch, incorporating a nutrition-focused Basics Market into its ground floor.

2020

Responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, the clinic launches telemedicine visits.

Read Story

The Portland Clinic Centennial Logo. 100 Percent Portland for 100 years.

2021

The Portland Clinic celebrates 100 years of providing health care in Portland!

A woman at a table gives a bag of donated goods to a member of the community.

Advancing Community Wellness

Through generous donations, The Portland Clinic Foundation has distributed $210,000 to impactful Portland-area nonprofits to date. Learn more about the foundation’s grassroots giving efforts and help us reach our goal for this year.

Read More

Visit our Centennial Exhibit

The logo and seal of the Oregon Historical Society, founded in 1898. Two hands clasped between the words “Peace and Friendship”

Coming Spring 2021

The Portland Clinic is proud to have a celebratory exhibit at the Oregon Historical Society to showcase our 100 years of service in the community. Learn about the history of The Portland Clinic and see how our services have helped shape a future of health care for the community.