The $50 billion detox industry represents thousands of products that promise to remove toxins from your body — and you don’t need any of them. The National Institutes of Health has found “no compelling research” to support detox diets for weight management or eliminating toxins. Worse yet, some products contain illegal or harmful ingredients, and others pose health risks for certain people.
For a better approach to eliminating toxins, “reduce and replace” is a great strategy — no purchase necessary.
Your liver, kidneys, and even your skin eliminate toxins from your body naturally, every day, through bowel movements, urine and sweat. To keep your built-in detox system functioning as efficiently and effectively as possible, reduce foods and substances that stress it, and replace them with choices that support it.
- Processed, fatty and sugary foods, which are hard for the liver to process
- Alcohol, which can damage the liver if used in excess
- Household chemicals, which may give off harmful fumes that can be breathed in and absorbed
- Plastic, which can leach chemicals into foods and drinks
Replace with these:
- Foods that support your natural detoxification pathways, including cruciferous veggies (kale, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, watercress), alliums (onions, leeks, garlic), spinach, avocados, asparagus, okra, cottage cheese, Brazil nuts and anti-oxident-rich green tea
- Fiber-rich foods (fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds) for optimal bowel regularity
- Organic foods, when possible
- Lean proteins, such as fish, poultry and beef, which contain important detoxifying enzymes
- Fermented foods, such as yogurt and kimchi, for a healthy gut
- Regular activity that works up a good sweat
- Plenty of water for healthy hydration
- 7-8 hours of good nightly sleep, which detoxifies your brain and bolsters all of your body’s systems
- Natural cleaners, such as lemon juice for glass and stains, vinegar for grease and mildew, and baking soda mixed with water as a good all-purpose cleaner
- Glass food containers, washable fabric produce bags and stainless steel water bottles
Healthy choices like these support your body’s natural detoxification system. For good, clean living, they beat detox products any day.