The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases estimates one in 10 Portlanders may be suffering from daily urologic conditions, such as a urinary tract infections, kidney stones, urinary incontinence or an enlarged prostate (in men). Urological problems can be a sensitive subject and potentially embarrassing to those affected, leading individuals to put off seeking medical attention. Doctors and nurses at The Portland Clinic are caring, understanding professionals, who advise all patients to listen to their bodies and take proactive measures when dealing with any urologic symptoms.
Urologists at The Portland Clinic, the specialists who treat diseases and conditions of the urinary system, use the most up-to-date techniques and tools to cure and help prevent ailments of the bladder, kidneys, testes, urethra, penis and more. In September — Urology Awareness Month — The Portland Clinic takes additional time to raise awareness for urologic disorders to help our neighbors live comfortable, healthy lives.
The urinary tract is your body’s waste drainage system, made up of the kidneys, ureters and bladder. Diseases affecting the urinary tract can include urinary tract infections (UTIs), kidney stones, bladder control issues, kidney failure or prostate problems.
While many ailments affecting the urinary tract and associated organs may be genetic, lifestyle changes may help prevent some conditions:
- Drink more fluids (mainly water) to keep your urine a clear to light yellow color
- Keep caffeine, alcohol and carbonated beverage consumption at a moderate level
- Keep your genital area clean — wash with soap and water at least once a day
- Maintain a healthy diet, with high fiber intake
Kidney disease — one of many issues treated by urology — affects more than 30 million Americans, and is the ninth leading cause of death in the United States. Strong factors for developing kidney disease include diabetes and high blood pressure, according to the American Kidney Fund.
If you have symptoms or are struck with a urinary ailment, available procedures and services at The Portland Clinic include, but are not limited to:
- Brachytherapy (radioactive seed implantation)
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy to destroy kidney stones
- Endoscopic and percutaneous techniques
- Genitourinary reconstruction
- Laparoscopic procedures including nephrectomy
- Medical and surgical treatment for sexual dysfunction and impotence
- Minimally invasive techniques for benign prostatic hyperplasia and other conditions
- Minimally invasive injection therapies and other procedures for incontinence
- Robot-assisted prostatectomy
- Organ-sparing surgery for kidney cancer
- Urodynamic evaluation
- Vasectomy (no scalpel)
For more information about Urology, or to schedule an appointment at The Portland Clinic, call 503-223-3113 or visit ThePortlandClinic.com for an appointment.